Clean slate

    As I've grown as a developer, and experienced more garbage that the hiring world has to offer (namely, a poor excuse of a freight company, who's sole point is to run their employees into nothingness), I've had more and less time for projects.

    I no longer use Unity anywhere near as much as I used to, due to the update in their business model.  They are still free to use up to a certain point, I just fear that if I ever pass that certain point, Unity will no longer be my best option.  Rather than struggle with that as I struggle with day to day life, I've decided that Unity is currently not for me.  I love the fact that they've shifted focus more towards C# and Javascript development, but thats the only thing they had going on.

    Due to Humble Bundle offering Game Maker Studio a while back, I decided to give that a shot again, and was amazed at how much better it worked than the last time I tried it (which was Game Maker 7).  GML was so easy to start picking up, and there is a ton of information related to Game Maker's nuances that Unity is only just starting to catch up with.  Also, their business model is not a pay per month, its a flat fee.  On top of that, I only have to pay for licenses to the platforms that I want to target, vs paying for platforms I will never target lumped in with stuff I'm only loosely considering (What the heck is a Tizen anyway?).

    Long winded "intro" behind me, here's what I'm working on for the future.  I am still cloning older games.  But now I am working on 2 projects as well.  One is a game that I intend to release for free, very loosely inspired by Eincrad from Sword Art Online.  The player will fight their way through 100 floors of one room dungeons to make their way to the top.  Their entire world consists of this "tower".  As the player progresses, NPCs will make certain parts of floors (or rarely the entire floor) into safe zones (towns), where the player can rest.  When the inevitable failure occurs, a tombstone will be placed with that characters name into the game world, and the player will have to make a new character to progress.  I intend to make this game solely for the purpose of having a project under my belt that I have completed of my own volition, not because I had to for school or because its part of the book I'm reading, but because I created it from scratch and chose to finish it.  This will be my (hopefully) primary focus for the next few months.

    The other project, which is on the back burner currently, is game that I hope to one day sell.  It will similar in style to Metroid, especially in that the game will take place in an era where space exploration is common, and the player will be tasked with exploring, surviving on and escaping an unknown planet.

Comments